Hi there! My name is Connor. A fair few people on the Interwebs know me as tripl3dogdare. I'm 18, a Christian, a programmer, a musician, a gamer, a YouTuber, and a few other things as well.
One of the fields of programming that's always really stood out to me is programming language design. I've always loved creating my own programming languges, figuring out how they work, how to tear them apart and put them back together in the craziest ways possible. I used to be fairly active in the esoteric programming language community; two of my favorite personal creations are Magistack and Subterra. I've also designed a dozen-odd other simple, useless programming languages, most of which never saw the light of day. I've also been working for years on coming up with designs for actually useful programming languages, which haven't come to fruition just yet but are coming along slowly but surely.
One of my other hobbies is linguistics - I love languages and learning how communication of every kind works and fits together. I currently speak both English (native) and Japanese (fairly well, but nowhere near fluent). I've also enjoyed the process of conlanging in the past; that is, creating a fictional language that can actually be spoken. While I've never quite managed to finish a language yet, I hope to at some point in the future. All of this connects quite deeply to my liking for computational linguistics and the processing of language through computers.
Some other quick facts:
- I live in the good ol' U.S.A. with my parents and grandmother.
- I quite literally grew up on code; not only am I a programmer, but my father is a web designer! I work with him at Straight Street Design, or you can check out his blog on theology and Christian life, Godwords.
- I love video games, particularly high-skill platformers (like Sonic the Hedgehog), first person shooters, and role-playing games.
- I'm a big fan of anime; some of my favorites are Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Fate/stay night and Black Cat. I'm also a huge fan of RWBY.
- I'm a music enthusiast in every sense; I love listening to music of all kinds, particularly classic rock, electronic, and J-pop. I also sing and play piano and guitar, as well as having played at various times the mandolin, recorder, ukelele, bass guitar, and some others.
About this blog
This blog started as a place for me to jot down my ideas - it's my rubber duck, if you will. It's a way for me to get my ideas out of my head, to force myself to explain them well enough that other people can understand it, which in turn helps me make sure I really understand it.
Aside from that, one of my passions is teaching. I love explaining things, trying to boil complicated things down to what's really going on so that people can understand. To that end, I decided to make my ideas public; that way, there's a way for somebody, somewhere, to benefit from the thinking and explaining I'm already doing in order to make sure I understand it myself.
This blog will most likely be primarily tech articles - programming tricks, diaries of large projects, and so on. I may occasionally post other things, depending on what I decide to write about, but that will probably be the main focus, if for no other reason than that programming is my primary focus at the moment.
And with that, I hope you enjoy!